Monday 17 June 2013

Initial thoughts / searches



Initial thoughts searches
We are coming up to the Easter holidays and there is an incentive to look over themes, ideas and concepts to cover the fast-approaching FMP. I am set on following up from this years earlier works on the Holyrood Chapel where I altered the appearance of the work to make the appearance dark, isolated and apocalyptic in nature. This would prove a decent idea with a good scope of available directions and can be well-affected with a good execution.

I have been looking on the internet for an assortment of images to use for references and have found plenty sites such as the Concept Art World, CGSociety and conceptart.org.

For consideration I have been reviewing a number of findings just to get me into an apocalyptic mood; and that I have found interesting to note down, that can and may serve as a source of some sort. The channel four new series Utopia has recently finished with an amazing climax and is worth noting for its apocalyptic sentiments and the cinematographic treatment of the urban and rural environment can serve to inform the composition of the work.

There are many different ways that I can go about interpreting the themes of the project and I want to review a good range of ideas that I’ve been looking at. Old literature such as the bible revelations of John and the Sumerian poem; the Epic of Gilgamesh feature archetypal apocalyptic narratives, the more (comparatively) modern novelizations such as Stephen King’s the Dark Tower and the language degradation described in Lord of the Flies. Even Naoki Urasawa’s Monster and the odd poems of Boris Glikman (especially his short story “The Find” and the “Day Death Died”) proves to be an interesting inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment