Wednesday 21 November 2012

Initial thoughts and inspirations (second week finale)

Initial thoughts and inspirations (20/09/2012)

The tutors have been talking about getting inspiration and focusing on finding artists and contextual research on our own. In order to start me off I have searched on several websites that regularly compile various contemporary works on their site.

At the Whino Art gallery I began reviewing John M Collier who was exhibited at the Modus Union Salon. His work is described as having subtle narrative, often possessing a darkly figurative disposition that uses thick oil paint to create realistc flesh.

ImageGaiety Is the Most Outstanding Feature of the Soviet Union
The Saatchi gallery website a pair of interesting artists that have similar aspects to the work i've seen around Blackburn College grounds. Lou Ros has composes his works with a distorted experimentalist abstract style in rendering common scenes or human form.

On Trendhunter there are numerous examples on strange and dark including the morbid surrealism of Tetsuya Ishida and the illustrator Natalie Anne Howard. For the visual communications I have been looking at Howard as well as other illustrators including John Hendrix and Tomer Hanuka.


In the long run I know I want to produce works that carry that same expressive quality of John Collier's Hetty Sorrel that I saw in the Blackburn gallery and Goya whom I have been thinking about since meeting Ghislaine Howard at the convention in the introductory week prior. Both artists Ghislaine and Goya focus on raw emotion that pervades their work and it is this ability for expression I wish to convey.

No comments:

Post a Comment