Wednesday 21 November 2012

09/10/2012

I have eventually chosen to an item to develop on having previously explored several alternatives from both the Blackburn art galley and the Walker. I finally decided from the exhibit in Liverpool in this case the Daguerra's "Ruins of Holyrood Chapel."



Daguerra was a 19th century artist famous for panoramic painting in particularly the use of light and shadow exemplified in this piece.The artists of the time were inspired by the new historical landscape in Scotland and was taken hold by the romanticist values of the time that excelled for picturesque quality, the need to express emotion and were largely landscape paintings.
 
I had begun using black emulsion paint to produce a paint drawing of the scene which included making the outline in particularly illustrating the darkness such as the silhouetted window on the right of the piece and the shadows surrounding the rugged ruins. I then applied white emulsion to produce the various tones needed to make it more 3 dimensional. This aspect I am more satisfied with as I managed to create a better sense of space using the shift in shades. 

No comments:

Post a Comment